Jan 9 (Reuters) - An overheated iPhone battery injured a repairman
in an Apple store in Zurich and prompted the evacuation of around 50
people from the shop on Tuesday due to smoke, Swiss police said.
police said the incident occurred as the repair worker was removing
the battery, which overheated and burned his hand slightly.
the same time, there was a slight build-up of smoke, which led to
around 50 customers and employees having to leave the business
temporarily," a police statement said.
staff responded well and correctly. It sprinkled quartz sand over
the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and
sucked out after switching on the ventilation."
people received medical treatment but did not need to be
specialists were examining what caused the incident, police said.
had no immediate comment beyond the police statement. (Reporting by
Michael Shields; Editing by Mark Potter)